Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Oh yea? well YOUR MOM needs to work on sequences at home cuz she doesn't understand it

So this is what bothers me about having 20+ kids in a classroom... These papers (see the attached picture) get sent home weekly.. and every week Jayruh's is "wrong"... If the teacher would take the time to find out what's going on instead of just telling me Jayruh isn't doing well with any of these assignments, she would see Jayruh can totally understand the concept of sequence. I sat down with her the other day and worked on a few of the take-home assignments.

Basically Jayruh cuts out four pictures. Then puts them in order according to which of the pictures happened first, second, third, last. We did one the other day with three pictures... and Jayruh got them "wrong" and I was frustrated... I'm like "Jayruh, tell me what is going on in each picture and then tell me which order they go in"

And here is what I saw going on in the picture.. Picture 1 - Girl picking apples from trees and putting them in baskets.. Picture 2- Girl taking baskets of apples to her "Annie's Apples" truck.. Picture 3- Girl stirring pot and making applesauce..
And here is what Jayruh told me was going on in the pictures.. Picture 1- Girl picking apples from the tree.. Picture 2- Girl cooking different kinds of things with the apples.. Picture 3- Girl taking the rest of the apples to her friends..

Clearly Jayruh doesn't have a problem with putting things in sequence.. she just is not interpreting things the same way that everyone else is.. but it's not that she's dumb and can't do the assignment..

In the attached picture.. the sequence was supposed to be Pic 1- bear with snowball in hand.. Pic 2- Bear with smaller snowball that was beginning to melt.. Pic 3- bear with even smaller snowball that was melting and even bigger puddle by his feet.. Pic 4- bear with no snowball in hand..

And here is how Jayruh interpreted it... Pic 1- bear with no snowball.. Pic 2-bear made a snowball.. Pic 3- snowball starts melting.. Pic 4- snowball melts more..

Like I can totally understand how she is mixing these things up.. I don't think I need a parent-teacher conference to tell me that Jayruh needs to work on these things more.. She understands that things go in a particular order... She's just looking at each picture in a different way. Trust me, we do these things at home, and when she sees a certain picture, she interprets what's happening differently than I do. And who's to say SHE isn't right? Really, our judgement of a snapshot of a story can be totally wrong.

I guess it's hard, because every teacher she's ever had has been blown away by her ability to understand things.. I mean she was talking in sentences at age 2. Her memory is absolutely amazing. She's a very intelligent girl. And to have this teacher telling me she's not, irks me..

No comments:

Post a Comment